To tell the history of Port Cunnington Lodge is to tell the story of two families. The history of the lodge begins with the founder Boyce Henry Cunnington and stretches back over 120 years. Established in 1890, Port Cunnington Lodge is one of the oldest Ontario resorts in Muskoka operating under its original name.
Boyce Henry Cunnington, a young 14 year old orphaned boy, came to Canada in search of adventure. After spending several years working as a homeboy on a farm near Mayfield, Ontario, Boyce Henry moved north to an area being opened for settlement. Land grants were given to newcomers and Boyce Henry was keen to turn the soil and start a farm and family of his own.